Do You Believe?

The Flyers are up 2 games to none and have outscored the opposition 13-0 since THE TIMEOUT.

7 Responses to Do You Believe?

1. larry says:

anybody still miss sbisa and lupul?

2. Jon B says:

I MISS THE SECOND 1ST (THIS YEARS). IT WAS NOT NECESSARY FROM ALL THAT I HAVE HEARD. hOLMGREN STILL SHOULD HAVE BEEN FIRED FOR THE JONES SITUATION (WORST GM-ING EVER). BASICALLY YOU COULD INSERT KNUBLE ON TODAYS SQUAD FOR FREE IF THE PROPER MOVES WERE MADE/ NOT MADE (= FLYERS EVEN BETTER).

3. Jon B says:

AWESOME PIC

4. KD says:

Considering Pronger is the difference between a first or second round exit and the Flyers going to the finals, I wouldn’t worry about an extra pick which may or may not ever play in the NHL. There’s a reason every career backup goalie that the Flyers trot out there looks like a hall of famer in these playoffs.

5. Jon B says:

Not the point. It was a good trade (excellent even) but the flyers gave up more for pronger than Anaheim did three years earlier. When viewed as a purely asset management transaction the flyers overpaid. And in my view in a capped league a GM must value his assets correctly as much as possible. And I am not making it up that Anaheim did not ask for the second 1st, it was blindly offered up by Holmgren unsolicited (or so I have heard).

And ALL first round picks by the flyers pan out. They have not missed a 1st since 2001 (Jeff Woywitka). And that draft sucked.

6. KD says:

You would know better than I would but in Edmonton’s case, they had no leverage in the trade as Pronger wanted out. As far as I know, Pronger didn’t knock up a local TV reporter in Anaheim, so the Ducks weren’t under any pressure to get rid of him, which is probably why the Flyers paid more.

7. Jon B says:

All true. But Anaheim still outbid other teams. And Anaheim lost some leverage trying to unload Prongers contract as they were in cap trouble. A wash or at least close to it IMO.

Regardless, I have maintained from the beginning that the trade was good and necessary but I would have prefered to hold onto one of those 1st round picks. Flyers are currently in the middle of a three year stretch without 1st or 2nd round picks. I think that we will see in the long view that teams who regularly deal early picks will eventually end up suffering in the new NHL.