Dirty Hit?

Last night Mike Richards hit Florida Panther David Booth. Booth was knocked unconscious and Richards was given a match penalty.
Is Richards looking at a suspension? Should he be?

10 Responses to Dirty Hit?

I don’t think it’s a dirty hit. Just unfortunate that Richard’s should hit that dudes chin. Richie stop skating and didn’t jump. It wasn’t late either. I don’t think the other panther really had possession yet.
    I wouldn’t be surprised, though, this early in the season if the NHL didn’t give him a suspension of one game just because of the severity of it.

2. bern says:

when Stevens did it to Lindros it was considered a great ‘clean’ hit. Good play? Yes. Dickhead for doing it? Yes
    same thing here.

Technically “Clean” but definitely no need for it in October. Say what you want about Stevens, but all of his big hits came in the playoffs when the stakes were much higher. I don’t remember him ever putting someone on the IR in the regular season.

4. Booth says:

Never admire your pass, nothing good comes from it.

5. Jon B says:

I thought it was a bit late but not dirty in its intent.
    Stevens hit on Lindros was 100% legal but also 100% dirty in that he played Lindros off against the other D (Neidermeyer?) in order to go out of position for the big hit. Patented Stevens big hit. He pretended like he was backing off and to his left to cover passing lanes but really was just powering up for the hit. Who wouldn’t love to have him do it for their team though.
    Question: If Stevens did that same hit to Ovechkin or Crosby, would he be suspended in todays NHL?

6. jon B says:

I would like to clarify that I think just because something is “dirty” doesn’t mean it is bad for professional hockey or even something to look down upon. Stevens did not have to destroy Lindros to break up the play. He was trying to inflict pain on his adversary and break up the play- and do it all legally. Kudos to him I say for killing two birds with one hit.

Lindros and Umberger still had the puck.
    Cheap hit, I’d give him 5 games

Beauty of a hit, if you don’t want contact become a figure skater. Loved all of the hits on Lindros, loved the Richards hit. Unfortunately, this type of stuff happens in a collision sport!!!!!

It’s interesting that Keith Primeau said it should be a suspension.

10. and says:

Scott Stevens said it was a good hit.