Farewell, Comrade

The Rams extend their condolences to the Bandits who lost a friend and teammate Sunday during the game. Genadij Sagaiko, the older Russian guy with the mustache, #87, had a heart attack on the bench. Teammates were able to get him to the ambulance but he died shortly after at Abington Hospital.
Sagaiko was a member of the Lithuanian national basketball volleyball and ice hockey teams. His daughter received a full basketball scholarship to Arkansas 7 years ago and he has a son living in London.

This entry was posted in Announcements. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Farewell, Comrade

1. shoup says:

Wow, that is horribly sad.

2. bern says:

my thoughts go out to Genadij’s family and Bandits team. Just an awful blow to the league and to our friends over on the Bandits. RIP big man.

3. KevMc says:

It was just horrible to witness. Never been so quiet at Wintersport.
    RIP #87

Terrible news. RIP #87

My thoughts and prayers go out to Genadij Sagaiko’s family and the Bandits. May you rest in peace.

6. kratz says:

Wow, puts our days and games in perspective. My condolences to his family and the bandits.

7. Robm says:

Very Sad. Our thoughts and prayers to his family and friends.

I always enjoyed battling the lanky winger whose name i didn’t know until today. He caught each pass with a confident thwack of his stick. Give him time and you’d be dealing with a flip pass that landed flat every time. I looked forward to digging for position in front of the net, knowing he’d never back down.
    I will miss our battles. My thoughts and prayers go out to his teammates, friends and family.

9. goalin says:

sorry to hear of such a tragedy….my condolences to his family and bandit teammates….RIP #87
    he was always one guy you had to mark when you faced the bandits, never forget that snap shot

10. Player says:

Genadij Sagaiko was my coach, he learned me how to play ice hockey, how to stand on the ice. He was good also not only in ice hockey. Our team will always remember him not only as a good coach but also as a good men..

11. googler says:

he was the assistant coach for Lithuania’s U-18 national team in 2006.

blackwood reports:
    The funeral (brief service in a Jewish burial home right on Street Road) was short and sad but nice.
    They had a hockey banner for Genna next to his coffin, and his daughter wanted his stick (I had it) so she could put it into his coffin. He LOVED hockey. It was his life passion. We had the service with his stick laying above him, long ways, in his coffin.
    I went up and spoke for our team. The people there liked hearing about the good stories, the last four years that Genna played with us. He got onto our team by accident. He wanted to play hockey and asked his daughter to put him in contact with a team. His daughter got Val’s phone number by mistake. It worked out well.

13. klh says:

Rest in peace.

14. Vinardas says:

This ruined my whole practice as I just found out about this. He was my coach back home since I was 12 years old. Very, very sad thing to happen for his family. At least he died what he loved doing, unfortunately way too early, hope he finds a better place. Rest In Peace Coach…

15. Scott Goldman says:

I think I can speak for the entire Philadelphia Ice Dragons team, Godspeed #87. Rest In Peace.

16. mo says:

alls we are is dust in the wind. god bless